Anna Fitzgerald took up running in 2010 as part of a resolve to get fit and healthy. Like many running mums, Anna started out by joining a local gym and with the help of a personal trainer, entered her first fun run. From there, her love of the sport developed, quickly becoming a passion.
Anna has completed hundreds of fun runs, raced over 20 half marathons, and competed in various cross-country, trail, and track races. She has been a state open and age-group medalist, finished in the outright top 10 of several major fun runs, a NSW representative in the Australian Half Marathon Championships and most recently, a World Masters champion in two events.
Anna is actively involved at all levels of the sport. Aside from being a proud RMA, she is also a member of Athletics NSW, the NSW Masters Association, Northside Running Group, and Randwick Botany Harriers. She is an Athletics Australia Accredited Coach [Level 2 (Recreational Running), Level 1 Community Coach, IAAF Kids’ Athletics Coach, Level 2 (Middle and Long Distance)], and a coaching facilitator.
When Anna is not running, she is working behind the scenes. She is passionate about advancing female participation and involvement in athletics as well as supporting running education for those new to the sport or those wanting to broaden their running experiences.
Anna is married and has two very active girls. She is coached by Gary Howard of Runcrew.
Formally, Anna studied law, humanities and financial services regulation at the tertiary and postgraduate level. She has worked for the boards of some of Australia’s top banks and financial institutions in law, compliance and in regulation. She was also a senior policy analyst with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission.
When Anna is not doing something running related or being a mummy taxi to her kids, she is writing (her other passion), reading, or spending time with friends. She has a keen interest in history, feminist literature and commentary, as well as health and nutrition for running women.
Anna’s personal bests:
10km: 36: 42
City 2 Surf: 52: 59
Half Marathon: 79:46
Some of Anna’s other running achievements:
- Winner: NSW Novice Cross Country Championship (2016)
- Gold: IAAF World Masters Championship 5,000m [35-39yrs] (2016)
- Gold: IAAF World Masters Championship 10,000m [35-39yrs] (2016)
- Gold: NSW Masters 5,000m Championship [35-39yrs] (2016)
- Winner: Athletics NSW Short Course Cross Country Championships [35-39yrs] (2013)
- NSW Representative in Australian Half Marathon Championships (multiple selections onto the team)
- Top outright finisher in various major fun run events including:
- The Sun Run: 2nd (2013)
- Sydney Running Festival Bridge Run: 5th (2013) and 6th (2016)
- Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon: 8th (2015)
- City to Surf: 11th (2014)
- SMH Half Marathon: 10th (2013, 2015)
- City2South: 4th (2016)
- Gold Coast Half Marathon: 11th [10th in Australian Championship] (2014) and 13th (2015)
- Winner at a number of smaller 5/10km events (e.g. Fisher’s Ghost Fun Run and Lindfield Rotary Fun Run)
You can follow Anna on instagram at @anna_lv2run