Hi RMA’s! Now this recipe is not very chefy, but was something I threw together when I was in serious need of a grocery shop. It is healthy and delicious without the fuss. After a long day and with an almost bare fridge, I pulled this stir-fry together with a bit of tofu and a half head of broccoli.
Who has tofu just lying around, you ask? I’ll be honest, it’s only a recent addition to the weekly shop and not part of our dinner repertoire as yet. So it was the one protein food I had left. So welcome, Tofu. Tofu is high in protein and an excellent alternative to meat. It is full of vitamins and minerals including calcium, magnesium and iron, which gets a big tick from me. I like to include meat-free meals at least a few times a week – for sustainability and health reasons, and tofu is just one high protein alternative I’ve been experimenting with.
Unfortunately there’s been some controversy about tofu (soy) and whether it is safe or not. When I looked into the research, it is clear there are multiple health benefits of soy including reduced cancer risk and lowering blood pressure. The negative findings were linking large doses of soy to estrogen-receptive cancer in rats. These amounts were not typical of a normal diet and it is important to note that rats process soy very differently to humans. It appears to be safe (and beneficial) to enjoy non-genetically modified and less processed forms of soy as part of a healthy diet eg tofu, tempeh, edamame. However, if you have a family history of, or have been diagnosed with an estrogenic receptor-positive breast cancer, limiting your intake of soy would be the prudent approach.
If not using tofu, you could always whip up this stir-fry with chicken, beef, or cashew nuts instead!
Tofu and Broccoli Stir-Fry
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 2 tsp salt-reduced soy sauce or tamari
• 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (sugar – yes, but a minor part of the overall meal)
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• ½ onion
• 250 g tofu, cut into 2 cm cubes
• ½ head broccoli, chopped
• 250 g microwaveable brown rice
• Coriander to garnish
1. In a small bowl, mix together 1 tbsp olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce and garlic. Coat the tofu with half the sauce.
2. Heat the remaining olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat and fry onion until translucent. Add the marinated tofu and stir-fry until browned (~8 mins). TIP: keep moving the tofu around to cook all sides evenly. You may need to add a dash of water to prevent sticking to the pan.
3. Add broccoli and remaining sauce and stir-fry for a further 5 minutes or until broccoli is just cooked but still has some crunch.
4. Heat the rice for 90 seconds in microwave (or as per packet directions). Portion rice into bowls and top with the stir-fry and garnish. SO EASY!
For more info from Sophie Brown, our resident dietitian, and to have any nutrition advice around lifestyle or racing head here.