I don’t know about you, but I bore easily with the same breakfast day in and day out. I also am often either a) scrambling to feed myself before I head out the door having taken care of making sure everyone else has had their tucker or b) out the door very early to train or work and taking my breakfast with me.
I have stumbled across this incredibly easy, nutritious breakfast of late that is becoming a regular feature as I can prep it the night before and grab it out of the fridge as I’m running out the door.
Quinoa porridge is so simple and is a base for any number of yummy flavour variations! Let your imagination & taste buds run wild.
You can batch prepare this for a few days worth so I’m leaving quantities vague!
1. Cook up some quinoa. I normally use ⅓-½ a cup per serve. To cook quinoa, rinse thoroughly, place in saucepan on a stove with 1part quinoa to 2parts cold water. Bring to the boil then return to a simmer until all water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. You’ll know when is cooked as outer husk breaks and the quinoa looks like it has a ring around it!
2. Allow quinoa to cool and then mix with your favourite yoghurt & flavourings. If you prefer not to have yoghurt you can substitute milk (any kind) for some or all of the water in step 1.
3. Place in fridge overnight and devour in the morning!
Some of my favourite flavour combos are:
– grated apple, cinnamon, dates & almonds
– raspberry, coconut & crushed macadamia
– blueberries, mixed seeds & nuts and maple syrup
– ricotta instead of yoghurt, pear & ginger
– strawberries with a sprinkling of my favourite toasted muesli
– grilled summer stone fruits, cinnamon, nutmeg & a drizzle of honey
The combinations are endless. What’s your fave?
By Hannah Easton