Mel lives in Canberra and is Mum to Willoughby (4) and Eloise (1) and wife to Jonathan. She is a plant fuelled, pram runner and nature lover and is passionate about sharing her love of adventure with her family.
Mel has been active and involved in sport all her life, most significantly ballet and hockey. Running had always been a part of her training schedule but Mel never actually considered herself a runner. In late 2013 (8 months after giving birth), Mel started running as a way to restore her fitness and to share her love of the outdoors with Willoughby.
In 2015, Mel ran through her second pregnancy until a week before Eloise’s birth (Feb 2016) and shared her journey through an RMA blog. She credits her active pregnancy for her “perfect” labour and recovery.
When Mel isn’t doing something running related you can usually find her outdoors hiking up mountains with her children or trying to crochet or read without a child climbing on her. She also works as a business consultant for the Pharmacy Guild of Australia (far from her psychology degree), is Marketing and PR Director on the board of ACT Little Athletics and ACT Admin for RMA.
Through her running journey Mel has met some of the most inspiring and supportive women. She is passionate about connecting with these wonderful women, fostering relationships, building networks and encouraging women to believe in themselves, their abilities and potential. Mel hopes that through her role as ambassador she can continue to encourage and support every running mum to take on challenges, be the best they can be and have FUN!
- 10k: 47.13
- Half Marathon:53.59
- 2014 Run for your Lifeline half marathon pushing Willoughby in the pram (2.12)
- 2015 Completing the CBR50 achieving ultra-runner status 🙂 (6.45)
- 2016 Running SMH half marathon 3 months after giving birth to Eloise and raising $1,500 for Running for Premature Babies foundation (2.20)
- 2016 Running with a team of RMAzing friends in the Sri Chinmoy Canberra Trail Ultra (Leg 2 30km 4.08)
- 2017 Australian Running Festival half marathon pushing Willoughby and Eloise in the double pram (2.15)
You can follow Mel on instagram at @runmumsb